Archive for the ‘Community’ Category

One Hand Clapping

Posted: October 13, 2012 in Church, Community, Connection, Lifestyle

Medically people are often put in isolation to prevent something from spreading to others. Sometimes people are isolated due to crazy or wrong behavior. Treatment is offered in order to get people out of the isolation they have created or been placed in. Some people choose to live apart from others-they may not move to Montana and live in a cabin because they can do it in an apartment complex in Denver just as easily.

What about Christians choosing to separate from other Christians due to whatever? It is just as easy to show up to a church service with 1500 others and be just as isolated as someone who never shows up. Isolation has satan’s imprint all over it.

To follow Jesus we must be connected to others who are not playing the isolation game. Isolation grows when we are not real, don’t accept challenges from others and when our busy lifestyles keep us from frequent contact with other followers throughout the week. All of these are our choices. It’s like clapping with one hand-basically pointless.

Look at Acts 2:42-46 and Hebrews 3:13 and 10:25. Think of a step you can take to become more connected with others.

Get Real!

Posted: October 6, 2012 in Church, Community, Courage, Fear, Honesty, Risk
Tags:

“I’m not sure I want it but even if I did, I don’t think I want to pay that much.” We might say this about some stuff we would like to buy but there is the cost…too much.

What about acceptance, forgiveness or love? We are hungering for it but often are not willing to eliminate dishonesty required to get it. We will tell some of the truth but we have a line which we will not cross in talking about what is really going on in our life. Do we really want a community in which we can put all our thoughts out there with others, knowing they would still want to get coffee with us?

Psalm 15:2, Proverbs 27:17, Ephesians 4:25 and Colossians 3:9 should give us motivation to be real with people.